KICK OFF: Monday 4th January 2021, 8pmEmbed from Getty Images
Liverpool will be looking to open up another three point lead over Manchester United in the Premier League table on Monday night as they travel to St Mary’s to play Southampton in what could be a pulsating encounter between two very exciting attacking teams.
Both sides ended 2020 with disappointing goalless draws as the Saints were held at home by West Ham and Liverpool had to settle for a surprising draw at Newcastle.
Southampton goalkeeper Alex McCarthy will miss Monday’s game after testing positive for coronavirus after the latest round of testing at the club, as confirmed by manager Ralph HassenhuttlEmbed from Getty Images
McCarthy, 31, who has kept seven clean sheets in 16 Premier League games is now self-isolating for the next few fixtures.
Jannik Vestergaard and Nathan Redmond remain absent due to injury.
Liverpool will be able to welcome back Thiago Alcantara back to full fitness after returning for the last 20 minutes against Newcastle.Embed from Getty Images
Defender Joel Matip remains out of for around three weeks after with a groin injury sustained against West Brom after Christmas
Naby Keita is also still sidelined for the Reds, joining Virgil Van Dijk, Matip, Joe Gomez and Kostas Tsimikas on the treatment table
- Southampton are winless in their last four games, failing to score in three
- They could register three consecutive goalless draws for the first time in their history
- Saints have won just one of their last 15 Premier League games played on a Monday, drawing seven and losing seven.
- Liverpool have won only four of their last 14 Premier League away matches , drawing six and losing four
- Mohammed Salah has registered seven goals in six appearances against Southampton
Southampton: Forster; Walker-Peters, Bednarek, Stephens, Bertrand; Armstrong, Ward-Prowse, Romeu, Walcott; Ings, Adams
Liverpool: Alisson; Alexander-Arnold, Fabinho, Phillips, Robertson; Henderson, Thiago, Wijnaldum; Salah, Firmino, Mane
Score Predictions: Southampton 2-3 Liverpool