Hi, I’m Louix Wasik Murray and welcome to the final game week of the group B in the champions league and hopefully for the neutral it remains just as exciting as it’s previously been. Last week in dramatic style Athletico found out the best they could do is advance to the Europa league, the last two times this has happened in 09/10 and 17/18 they have won the competition. This will definitely be a tactical, matchup between two former teammates who have received success together winning serie A fort Lazio in 99/00.
1)The match is underway here at the stadio do Dragao in Portugal as Porto look to finish the group at the top and Atletico want to save further embarrassment by staying some type of European competition.
2) Felix crosses in the ball for Saul who arrived into the box but Marcano licks the ball away, it returns back to the number 7 who tries his luck again, but costa claims the ball. the Porto keeper making a lot of noise around the premier league especially involving Manchester united.
4)Porto break from the corner won by Atletico as Galeno drives forward and crosses the ball for Taremi from the right-hand side but the shot doesn’t find the target.
5) GOAL! The dragoes roar into the lead. taremi had been making some noise on right side of the front two, the ball falls into the box and the Brazilian knocks it home to make it 1-0 with his first home goal in the champions league this season. Savic was caught napping and as experienced as he is you just can’t do that at this level.
8) Atletico struggling to get to grips in this game as Porto lead the tempo, you start to think is this because the last two games Atletico have played the minutes have surpassed 99. late drama involved in both with a penalty miss to kiss their champions league hopes goodbye and a devastating last-minute loss in Spain at the weekend in a 3-2 defeat.
11) pepe the veteran barges into a challenge against Felix who remains on the floor and no I don’t mean Felix, the old age seems to be getting the better here’s pepe may need replacing.
13) Galeno has an effort on goal with the opportunity to make it 2-0nbut he fails to do so, this stime taremi turns creator trying to assist his teammates but Oblak saves Atletico which has been a common theme through his career.
17) Porto holding the majority of possession and definitely look like they could cruise a win tonight, but they have only won 2 of the last 11 against the Spanish side so let’s not get ahead of ourselves here.
20) Savic travels up pitch and crosses from the touchline towards Felix, but the Portugues can’t direct his header goalward and so far, is not getting any luck in his home country.
23) first sign of an error for Porto as Galeno has heavy touch gifting Atletico a corner but Griezmann is unable to capitalize with his delivery headed clear and de Pauls follow up shot is blocked.
24)GOAL! Porto grab their second in the first 25 minutes of this match, Galeno looks dangerous once again as he spins Savic whose started this game poorly and he bursts forward, he enters the box and pulls it back, Eustaquio smashes it into the net to finish a great move. That makes it 16 goals in their last 6 games so far.
27) Simeone seems to be becoming more and more desperate as the night goes on, his well-drilled and well rained defensively team are being outplayed by Porto who are showing no mercy in this game who seek to finish top of their group.
31) good save from costa who has his first bit of action in the game as his centre back Infront of him gives the ball away and it’s crossed into the box from Saul, but nothing comes from it.
33) Atletico are showing their desperation only 30 minutes into this game as Gimenez misses the target from around 30m meters out with a lot of power but little to no accuracy as costa watches it sail over the bar.
37) Oblak is forced into action once again as Otavio has an attempt on goal. the Porto build up play was very smooth once again as Savic is once again beaten, Evanilson is found in the box backheeling it to taremi who has the opportunity to grab his second of the match but instead is unselfish and finds Otavio, but the winger can’t seem to get past Oblak’s foot.
39) Porto’s number 16 (Grujic) is handed a yellow card for a foul on correa.
42) yellow card for Reinildo as the referee plays advantage following a rash challenge on Otavio leaving him feeling it after but Gimenez blocks the attacking attempt, and it peters out.
45) as the half comes to a close it looks increasingly unlikely that Atletico can get anything from this game, unsurprising as the last 3 times Griezmann and Felix have started together neither of them have scored nor have the Spanish side won any of those games either.
45+2) the halftime whistle blows in Portugal bringing some salvation to Atletico Madrid. Simeone’s side have been outplayed and have been unable to cope with Porto’s fluent attacking prowess. taremi and Eustaquio on the scoresheet but Atletico are lucky it’s only a 2-goal deficit.Embed from Getty Images
46) The game resumes as the second half commences and Atletico currently have 45 minutes to save any European hope but knowing them, they could end up having 55 minutes with their track record of extra time recently.
47) Saul misses the target with an early opportunity for the visitors, the half time team talk seems to have some impact as they start the half a lot livelier than the first.
48) Savic receives a yellow card as he struggles once again to contain Galeno this evening, Zaidu arrives with purpose as the defender misjudges his intervention and ends up in the referee’s book.
50) although Porto have been cruising, they do need to be careful as Athletico seem determined to not let the Spanish fans down. Simeone opted out of making a change and it seems to be working in his favour so far.
53) SUBSTITUTE-speaking of substitutions Wendell joins his teammates on the pitch to replace zaidu as he comes off injured following that Savic altercation.
56) Porto now seem back in control and Atletico’s hopes of European football start to become less likely as they try everything to saver the embarrassment and protect their record of never finishing bottom in the champions’ league group.
60) SUBSTITUTE-It goes from bad to worse for Atletico fans as it seems Simeone, and Felix’s relationships turns sour after the former Benfica man is replaced by Cunha and Niguez is taken off for Carrasco.
67) BALL IN THE NET! Griezman pulls one back for the visitors and some hope is grasped by the Spanish side, De Paul flies into a 50-50 and the ball is played into the path of Griezmann and he beautifully places into the top corner, but it won’t cunt as the referee pulls it back for the foul on Galeno.
71) Carrasco is brought down but the referee decides to play advantage, he is then brought down again but doesn’t make the referee consider anything and carries on play and Porto can now counter with possession.
75) Carrasco definitely helped change the game with a few good chances created by him, but it just doesn’t seem to be athleticos night as they remain goalless and looking very likely to be exiting this competition.
77) taremi has an effort on goal blocked, it took a heavy deflection of Witsel and misses the target.
81) SUBSTITUTION- Porto bring ion some fresh legs to hold onto this league and make sure nothing slips away as Martinez replaces Evanilson.
85) The home crowd make their presence and show their enjoyment as ole ole rings around the stadium greeting every Porto pass. I can’t say the same for the traveling Spanish fans as they are looking at a very long and sad way home.
87) Athletico with some good chances but nothing going through but we must remember it isn’t all over as long as Brugge can find a way through Leverkusen.
90) Five minutes are added on as Porto look to see out this game, this will feel like 5 hours for Porto but 5 seconds for the visitors Athletico.
90+4) GOAL- Late drama and could the dream still be alive after Porto concede a late goal through the mistake of their own defenders.
FULL TIME- The Spanish giants are knocked out of the champions league and fail to even qualify for the Europa league, a lack lustre performance ends in defeat. Porto top the group and get their 3rd ever win against Athletico from 12 meetings. you have to say Porto deserve it after being so dominant and Oblak preventing it being even more of an embarrassing night. But that’s the way the cookie crumbles sometimes and Simeone’s era at Athletico seems to be ending after his 11th year anniversary.Embed from Getty Images
Oblak-8 Gimenez-4 Savic-2 Reinildo5 Witsel-6 De paul-5 Mulina-4 Niguez-3 Felix-2 Griezmann-5 Correa-5
Costa-8 Marcano-7 Cardoso-7 Zaidu-7 Pepe-7 Grujic-6 Eustaquio-8 Galeno-8 Otavio-8 Evanilson-7 Taremi-9
Louix Wasik Murray