Welcome to Overtime’s Winter Transfer Solutions for the 2022 January transfer window. Our club reporters will use the latest statistics to suggest two key players each club should break the bank for. Joel Lushington looks at Newcastle below.
Progressive, passing centre-back
Newcastle Possible Transfers
- A centre back that will benefit them not only in defence and seal more clea sheets, but someone who isnt afraid to move the ball forward.
- Goalscoring midfielder – someone who is clinical in front of goal, but also outside the box, with Newcastle lacking threat with shots on goal.
Research about newcastle
- Only scored 2 goals in their last 6 fixtures
- Currently 19th in the Premier league with just one win in the league so far in 19 fixtures.
- Eddie Howe has suggested he needs a goalscorer midfielder for around a 15 million budget.
- Lascelles has conceded 41 goals in his 19 appearances in the Premier League this season.
Newcastle are in desperate need of a reliable centre back this season and with the arrival of the new Saudi owners they certantyl have the budget and transfer pull to sign a top player that they so desperately need this transfer window. With 5 yellow cards and 41 goals conceded this season from Jamall Lascelles, they need a much more reliable centre back that will not only benefit Newcastle defensively and influence more clean sheets, but also a central defender that can carry the ball forward wether by dribbling or progressive passing. So who are their options this transfer window when Newcastle can’t even have a consistent starting two centre backs this season.
One option that Newcastle could sign could be French RC Lens centre back Jonothan Gradit. He has been exceptional for RC Lens this season, in their best league start in years they are currently 6th in the league. He has achieved 0.63 key passes leading to a shot per 90, it would definatly be an improvement on Jamaal Lascelles, who has 0.07 key passes leading to a shot per 90, Gradit could not only provide a greater defensive structure for Newcastle, but also he would assist in getting the ball forward for them this season.
Newcastle have really lacked threat in front of goal this season, with just 2 goals in their last 6 fixtures, they cannot just rely on Allan Saint Maximin. A great option for Newcastle to sign is Peotr Zielinski. He has been on fire this season for Napoli with 10 g/a in 20 games from a central midfielder position, his 2.87x key passes leading to a shot per 90 would be perfect for setting up the likes of Alllan saint Maximin, who desperately needs the service to really make the difference for Newcastle going forward. He also has an impressive 0.43 expected goals and assists per 90, he would really make the difference in this Newcastle side.