Blog Details

Home   /   Mahrez double sends Manchester City into Champions League final
Embed from Getty Images

Manchester City 2-0 Paris Saint-Germain (4-1 on Aggregate)

Riyad Mahrez scored twice as Manchester City professionally overcame Paris Saint-Germain to reach their first ever Champions League final.

The Algerian rolled an early finish beneath Keylor Navas after a Kevin De Bruyne shot was blocked, then finished off a perfect counterattack midway through the second half when Phil Foden crossed after combining with De Bruyne.

A hailstorm before kick-off saw the game played on an ice-covered pitch more fitting of January than May but PSG acclimatised the quicker, although Kylian Mbappe was only fit for the bench with a calf problem.

City survived a scare early when a cross skimmed off Oleksandr Zinchenko’s shoulder and referee Bjorn Kuipers awarded a penalty before rescinding it on second viewing on the pitch-side monitor.

Embed from Getty Images

Mahrez calmed the early nerves in the 11th minute, finishing a move started by Ederson finding Zinchenko down the left.

Marquinhos, scorer in the first leg, headed onto the bar on 16 minutes just before Angel Di Maria curled wide of an open goal when he robbed Ilkay Gundogan after a Ederson attempted a quick break.

Lacking the threat of Mbappe, PSG struggled to penetrate the City backline where John Stones and Ruben Dias produced a number of crucial blocks.

Embed from Getty Images

Mahrez made the result safe in the 63rd minute, prompting PSG to again lose their discipline in the face of adversity with Di Maria sent off for stamping on Fernandinho soon after.

Foden hit the post, Mbappe stayed on the bench and PSG threatened further red cards more than a goal.

City will face either Chelsea or Real Madrid on May 29th in Istanbul.

Click here for the live blog from the first leg. Click here for more football news, and click here for coverage of all sports.

Leave a Reply

Follow Overtime on Twitter

TikTok Feed


July 2024