Peacehaven & Telescombe Fc back amongst the silverware

Peacehaven & Telescombe Football club were two days away from going bust following a run up of outstanding debts totalling to almost sixty thousand pounds.

Peacehaven players celebrate their victory over Haywards Heath FC (Photo credit: Rob Thomo)

The club, founded in 1923, rich history was close to an abrubt end when the club was forced to turn into a Community owned club in order to raise funds to keep the club afloat.

Club commerical director, Mike Bradbury, a Peacehaven local since 2001 described the clubs downfall as: “The club had won the County League a record number of times, and on the last occasion in 2010 the decision was taken that it should accept promotion and try to progress. Sadly they soon found out that they just couldnt afford it.”

“The cost of ground improvements, coupled with the additional expenses neccesary to compete at a higher level put the club on a slippery slope.”

Following succesive promotions and a Sussex senior cup victory Peacehaven & Telescombe finally broke even in 2014, but it came as no surprise that two seasons of disaster followed. Costs were slashed to the bone which saw further decline and unprecedented debts run up.

The club succesfully reached their target of £35,000 to become a community owned club in June 2016. The ‘Magpies’ were back amongst the silverware lifting the Sussex Principal RUR Charity cup at Lancing Fc’s Culver road on Bank holiday monday afternoon.

Chairwomen, Sue Norwood, believes the community are buying into the project at Peacehaven & Telescombe and the club are back on the up following thier recent succeses.

The club had finally cleared their debts in April 2018 and the club are now looking forward to the future progressing from their youth teams all the way up to the senior side.

A perfect performance saw the Southern Combination Football league outfit lift the RuR cup on monday afternoon against previous manager, Shaun Saunders, Bostik league outfit in Haywards Heath FC.

Two first half goals from John Elliot and Jake Brocklebank meant Mark Shutt’s side lead at the break before a Charlie Durling strike late on secured the silverware was returning back to the south coast.

Leave a Comment