Match Report: Brighton & Hove Albion v Manchester United 3-2

Brighton & Hove Albion recorded their first Premier League win of the season after an entertaining encounter against Manchester United at the Amex Stadium.

Chris Hughton will be delighted with his team’s performance and their ability to bounce back from last week’s defeat as they frustrated a very poor and uninspiring United side.

Brighton enjoyed an early spell of possession in the opposition half which resulted in a Solly March cross falling into the hands of David De Gea.

The first opportunity came from a Dale Stephen misplaced pass in the 10th minute, gifting the ball to Romelu Lukaku who was two-on-one, with Juan Mata beside him, but Lukaku went for glory and sliced his shot wide.

The Seagulls were dealt a blow just after 20 minutes as captain Lewis Dunk, who picked up a knock earlier, could not continue and Leon Balogun took his place.

Brighton were rewarded with their positive start by opening the scoring in the 25th minute as March crossed the ball into Glenn Murray who cleverly flicked the ball past De Gea, making that Murray’s first goal of the season on his 200th appearance for the club.

It became dreamland for the Brighton fans as they saw their side double their lead in quick succession in the 27th minute as Shane Duffy got himself on the end of a dangerous ball into the area from Pascal Gross, poking the ball into the net, making that his first ever Premier League goal.

Manchester United sparked a potential comeback, reducing the deficit in the 34th minute as Lukaku headed the ball into the net from close range.

But despite conceding, Brighton continued to pressure United’s backline and just before the end of the first-half they were awarded a penalty after Eric Bailly hauled down Gross.

Gross dusted himself off and put his penalty down the middle and De Gea could only see the ball deflect off his leg and into the roof of the net.

Jose Mourinho made two changes at the break in an attempt to maximise their attacking threat, Andres Pereria and Juan Mata made way for England duo Jesse Lingard and Marcus Rashford.

Brighton remained well organised in the second half, cancelling out every United attack by pressing high up the pitch.

No clear cut chances were created for either side as we approached the 70-minute mark and United grew more frustrated as Murray held off three United players on the half way line, giving the Brighton fans more to cheer about.

Mathew Ryan was called into action as he made a superb save in the 75th minute as he dived to his right to palm away Paul Pogba’s long-ranged effort.

United’s late pressure was all a little too late as Lukaku delivered a ball into the area but Ryan punched the ball away clashing into Duffy in the process, ending in the goalkeeper needing medical treatment, but the Australian got back up onto his feet.

Murray was replaced by Jurgen Locadia in the 90th minute to a standing ovation by the home fans after a fantastic performance from the target man.

There was late drama in added time as United were awarded a penalty as Duffy brought down substitute Marouane Fellaini in an unnecessary fashion.

Pogba made no mistake, putting the ball in the top-right hand corner of the goal but it was Brighton’s day as moments after the restart Kevin Friend blew the whistle for full-time.

Sub-edited by Mason McDonagh

Leave a Comment