Brighton win Sussex Senior Challenge Cup for 13th time

Extra-time goals from James Tilley, Richie Towell and Joe Ward were enough to crown Brighton the Parafix Sussex Senior Challenge Cup champions.

Crawley began the first half on top. An early shot from Josh Lelan at the beginning of the match was blocked well from the Brighton defence. Shortly after, Crawley applied the pressure and were reward with an early corner. However, it was defended well from Brighton.

Crawley continued to maintain the pressure on the hosts as a shot from the distance forced a good save from Robert Sanchez, a good start from Crawley Town who were the stronger side in the opening ten minutes.

Brighton began an attack of their own as a clever ball from the wing teed up Richie Towell. However, the Brighton player put his first-time shot wide.

Shortly after, a corner from The Seagull’s is swung in to Ben Hall, who put the chance over the bar. Brighton had started to find their rhythm in this Parafix Cup final.

At the 15-minute mark Brighton prospect, James Tilley, had a strike from outside the box that just skimmed the bar.

The Crawley fans started to make themselves heard as the away side had a few good chances blocked, as they looked to create a chance against the run of play.

A lot of end to end action which allowed Brighton defender, George Cox, to play a dangerous ball into the Crawley Box. After some good defending, Brighton earned another corner. George Cox was constant threat down the left flank for Brighton, winning Brighton numerous corners. The left-back for Brighton has been the player to watch in this first-half.

After Joe Ward made a clever turn on the edge of the box, he is brought down by the Crawley defence. Consequently, Brighton were awarded a free-kick in a threatening position. Unfortunately, the chance was wasted as the half ended.

Crawley Fans continued to make plenty noise as the second-half got underway. George Cox looked to continue his impressive first-half performance with a great delivery into the Crawley Box. However, The Red’s defence has been relentless tonight.

Brighton captain, Dessie Hutchinson, led by example as he was unlucky not to convert his chance from outside the box.

The end to end action continued. A corner from Crawley forced an impressive save from form the Brighton keeper. However, he was fouled shortly after by Crawley defender Addison Garnett, who was booked for his infringement.

Brighton continued to play some excellent possession football, which looked to have silenced the Crawley fans at the hour mark of the match.

Brighton’s stylish football is almost rewarded as Tyler Forbes sent a great cross into the box which forced a save from the Crawley keeper, Yusuf Mersin.

A reckless challenge from Hutchinson saw the Brighton captain receive a booking in the last 20 minutes.

Although Brighton remained the more dominant team, they continued to struggle to break down the Crawley defence.

However, Hutchinson had arguably the best chance of the game. A perfect first time shot from the edge of the box forced an impressive save from the Crawley Town keeper.

Although, Brighton continued to pile on the pressure as Tyler Forbes is played through on goal by Joe Ward. Unfortunately, the chance was squandered.

Brighton remained dominant for the duration of the 90 minutes. However, due to the impressive defending from Dermot Drummy’s team, as the match finished 0-0 after 90 minutes.

We had to wait until the 96th minute for the first goal of the game. A brilliant cross from Brighton full-back, Tyler Forbes, found in-form striker James Tilley. Tilley beat his marker and poked the cross into the top left of the goal. And put Brighton within touching distance of the cup.

Brighton remained dominant and after a defensive error from Crawley Town, Richie Towell reacted first to take the ball around the goalkeeper and pass the ball into an open net, as he extended Brighton’s lead to two.

The goals didn’t stop there, Joe Ward was played through on goal and made no mistake with his opportunity as he sent the ball into the top left corner. Consequently, Brighton were crowned the Parafix Sussex Senior Challenge Cup Champions.

By Toby Clarke


Leave a Comment