Brighton 1-1 Leicester City – Match Report

Brighton were held to a draw at home to 10-man Leicester City after substitute Jamie Vardy levelled the score with a late penalty.

Chris Hughton will be hugely disappointed with the dropped points as his side looked so comfortable for the majority of the game.

Claude Puel on the other hand will be delighted with his team’s character, as they battled to a draw despite being reduced to 10 men whilst being 1-0 down inside half an hour.

It was a very quick start for the visitors and inside two minutes, Leicester could have had a penalty. Shinji Okazaki went down just inside the penalty area, but the referee waved away his claims.

With 15 minutes gone and a Kasper Schmeichel save from Beram Kayal’s shot being the only opportunity for either side, Brighton took the lead through a Glenn Murray header. Anthony Knockaert lifted the ball into the front post from a corner and the Englishman rose highest amongst three Leicester players to head past Schmeichel.

After the goal, both sides were having spells of possession with very few chances being created, although Brighton were clearly boosted by Murray’s header.


Maddison madness

In the 26th minute, after Knockaert darted inside, James Maddison took down the Frenchman to halt a counter attack for the Seagulls, earning himself a booking in the process.

And two minutes later, he was off. After taking the ball down out of the air, Maddison was faced with Shane Duffy in the Brighton penalty area. Shifting to his right, Maddison expected a challenge from Duffy that never came and the Englishman threw himself to the floor.

Referee Chris Kavanagh immediately signalled for a Brighton free-kick and reached for his pocket to award Maddison his second yellow. The referee’s decision was met with no protests by the Englishman, only disappointment in himself for his poor decision making.

Vardy makes the difference

Coming up to the hour mark, Vardy was brought on to replace Demarai Gray, much to the relief of the visiting supporters.

Despite going down to 10 men, the visitors had found it tough all afternoon to create anything of note. In a difficult physical battle with Brighton centre backs Lewis Dunk and Duffy, Okazaki, who started his first game of the season, found himself isolated and looked lost without a partner. Vardy’s introduction changed that, and in turn led to some better play from the away side.

Chris Hughton pleaded from the sideline for his team to push up, but as they typically do when holding onto a lead at home, the hosts dropped deep to cope with Leicester’s more consistent pressure after a change of formation by Claude Puel.

In the 78th minute, they were finally punished for dropping so deep. Following a corner, Kayal brought down Leicester substitute Kelechi Iheanacho and Kavanagh pointed to the spot. Vardy stepped up to level for his side and sent Maty Ryan the wrong way in the Brighton goal.

Chances came for both sides after the equaliser with the Seagulls narrowly heading a chance wide and Iheanacho flashing a shot from the edge of the box just past the post, but the scores would end level.

Leave a Comment