Brighton 1-0 Everton – Match Report

Jurgen Locadia’s second-half strike was the only goal that separated the two sides at the Amex as Brighton won their first match since the beginning of December.


Marco Silva’s Everton, who were favourites heading into the match, will be hugely disappointed to come away with nothing, especially having hit the woodwork on two occasions.


The first 10 minutes saw neither side create anything of note, with both teams trying to get a feel for the game. Everton’s threat looked likely to come down their left side.


Most of their play was going through Lucas Digne, who was the main man for the Toffees in their 5-1 win against Burnley on Boxing Day, scoring twice.


Brighton on the other hand, who set up with Locadia playing out of position on the left wing and Solly March the other side of Florin Andone, looked unsure of where their chances would come from.


The first chance of the game came through Michael Keane in the 12th minute, but he could only head Bernard’s delivery wide of David Button’s goal.


The Seagulls responded with a chance of their own a couple of minutes later when the ball fell to Locadia in the box, but the forward took too long and had his effort blocked away to safety.


More chances came in the first half for Everton just before the half hour mark, both through Richarlison. First of all the Brazilian had an effort cleared off the line by Dunk after a fumble by Button, who was making his Premier League debut, before Richarlison had another chance which was this time saved by the Albion goalkeeper.


Into the second half it was Brighton who looked more likely to score, but they were seeing their chances break down in the final third as the Everton back three stood strong.


However, their better start to the second half was rewarded in the 59th minute as they took the lead through the man who looked Albion’s best player all afternoon, Locadia.


A corner was delivered to the back post and rebounded off Andre Gomes into Locadia’s path. The forward then turned and directed it into the top right corner to give the hosts the lead.


Initially the linesman raised his flag suggesting the goal was offside, but after speaking with the referee they cleared up that it came off an Everton player, meaning Locadia was in an onside position and the goal would stand.


Almost immediately after the restart, Everton went straight up the other end in an effort to bounce back. Richarlison looked to have given them their equaliser as he struck a low effort towards goal, but Button’s save creeped under him and bounced back off the post, fortunately for the stand-in Albion keeper.


Chances were few and far between after Richarlison hit the post, until the 87th minute when Kurt Zouma saw his header ricochet off the bar. Gylfi Sigurdsson, who replaced Yerry Mina, delivered a fantastic cross for the Frenchman, but he could not keep his header down.


With four minutes added on it was a nervy finish for the Seagulls, but they held on for the victory and their first clean sheet since October.



Leave a Comment