5 Key Moments: Brighton and Hove Albion 1-3 Burnley

Burnley moved three points clear of the relegation zone as they dispatched Brighton at the AMEX, here’s five talking points from the game;

Heaton’s good form

Tom Heaton has been on fine form since returning from injury, first tipping over Solly March’s header then moments later the 32-year-old flew to his right to prevent Pascal Gross from opening the scoring. Heaton made an even better save from March 23 minutes in though, the midfielder went on the outside of Charlie Taylor prior to working Heaton who made a smart one-handed save. Before the stroke of half-time, the Clarets keepeer brushed Gross’ side-foot volley past the post. With the Nations League finals taking place this summer, the Burnley stopper is surely in contention for a call up to the England squad.

Double Jeopardy

Going into this game Burnley had only hit the woodwork six times all season, but they struck it twice in quick succession with just under 20 minutes gone. The Clarets first-half dangerman was Man United academy graduate Dwight McNeil’s who looked extremely assured on the ball for a 19-year-old. McNeil’s shot across goal deflected off Shane Duffy before hitting the crossbar, then Ashley Barnes follow up header also hit the woodwork before bouncing over. When your lucks out.

Dunk’s Slip

Lewis Dunk has been one of Brighton’s most consistent players since they’ve been in Englands top tier, but this was a moment to forget for the England international. Barnes’ ball over the top looked fairly straightforward for Dunk to deal with, but at the vital moment the centre-back slipped allowing Chris Wood to finish his one-on-one against Maty Ryan. A big goal in the relegation battle.

Wood at the double

The visitors first came about because of a Brighton error, but their second was all about one man. Kiwi Wood received Dwight McNeil’s pass just inside the area before finding the bottom corner despite Ryan getting a hand to it.

Penalty Calls

The 72nd minute in this game was a crazy one. The ball deflected off Jeff Hendrick’s chest and onto his hand in the penalty area but Stuart Attwell didn’t give the spot kick. The away side subsequently sprung a counter attack and from it Barnes was taken down by Ryan. It was down to the aforementioned Barnes to make it three from the spot, and he made no mistake – slotting it into the left hand corner to put the Clarets three up.

Leave a Comment